Saturday, March 7, 2009

Priceless Garage Sale

Well, today we had the first of hopefully only two garage sales we will be having.  We are really trying to eliminate most of our belongings and keep only the things we really truly need.  Through all of this I am actually learning more than any money we have earned could be worth.  I have to admit selling our things and lots of our furniture has been very hard (especially because we are selling it below what it is worth)  I even had a few moments of emotional crisis where I couldn't help but feel sad and some tears, but as I watched the people getting our things I couldn't help but imagine how the buyers would use them, or how we were helping them by giving them such a deal in such a hard time. I realized as I got in house and sat down to no desk how thankful I was that I was still sitting in a room listening to my children's voices and watching my husband smile with his positive attitude.  It was then that I realized that this garage sale was more for me for than all of those people.  That part was just to help me get through the sale.  It was teach me about the realistic unimportance of material things.  I feel so blessed to have the gospel of Jesus Christ to help remind me what is truly important in my life.  Also the blessings of the temple to help me get through times like this.  I have to say that I am also thankful for such a loving and supportive mother to help with support and be such a great example.  Ryan and I are truly starting a new family adventure here soon and I am so lucky to get to go on adventures with such a wonderful husband and children.  I hope to always remember the wonderful lessons of this Priceless Garage Sale.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I miss you guys so much!

Dave and Kristin said...

That would be hard. I have a hard time getting rid of things too. So do you know when your moving yet?

Kendra said...

So hard, but a great post. Thanks, I think we forget about what is truly important!

Elizabeth said...

alll I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my goodness